Friday, November 18, 2016

Wild life in Texas

Tarantulas and scorpions and fire ants, oh my.
These are just a few examples of the diversity of wildlife here in Texas of which I have first hand knowledge.

Scorpions, I have seen a couple in the house but they were either already dead or dying, due to the poison put down outside. One in my swim shorts, luckily I peaked inside and shook them good, which I always do. One on Rick's flip flop, which he saw before sticking his foot in. So no scorpion stings, would like to keep it that way.

I have gotten bitten by fire ants quite a few times, once 20-30 bites. Felt like my feet were on fire for several days, puffy, swollen. Even sweet little Hattie got a bite from a fire ant last summer. Not fun. Whenever we spot a hill we give them some poison also.

Tarantulas aren't supposed to be deadly, just look ferocious. I have seen them: one on the road, one on our front porch, and I just came across one on the trail between the houses. It wasn't moving and I wasn't getting close enough to see if it was dead.

The type of wildlife that inhabits the great state of Texas -  I won't miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment