Saturday, January 31, 2015

My lips went numb!

All my life I have gotten cold sores. They are miserable things, and you are lucky if you have never gotten one. They are genetically passed on; my dad was susceptible and the lucky ones in my family are my two sisters and me (not sure about the brothers, maybe). The lucky ones in my own family are Paige, Chris, and Scott, yay.

If you have the genetic material, then what brings on a cold sore seems to be the 4 esses: stress, sunburn, sleep, and sick. I had not gotten one for several years, and then with all the stress with my jaw and tinnitus, I was getting one every month. That had eased off and it had been several months (6 or more) since the last one. The cedar fever is getting me, which is stressing my body, and guess what? On Mon I felt 2 (two TWO) forming on the same place on my lower lip that they always do. More yay.

I remember many years ago asking a doc if there was meds for them and he said no (but that was the bad pediatrician in Plainfield, so I shouldn't have trusted his answer) and I always had the kids and me use over-the-counter salves and such. Paige asked her doc 7-10 years ago and he said, there is a pill to take called Valtrex or Acyclovir or another brand. And they work! You must start the medication as soon as you feel one forming; they'll still form, but much smaller and not last as long. Yay and Yay!

The nerve endings hurt like the dickens, so I started using Orajel, which is a numbing agent. This morning Rick and I were going out to the Farmer's Market to get some Kombucha and Rick had a drink. I had just put some Orajel on and then took a sip of his soda. He didn't drink it again until we got back in the truck, and by the time we got home he said, my lip has gone numb, I'm not kidding my lip has gone numb for some reason. I told him it was probably because I took a drink with the Orajel just put on my lip and then he drank and got it on his lip.

And for you people who have never gotten a cold sore, I don't think you can get one from kissing or touching a glass or something. I think you have to be genetically predisposed to it. I just looked this up on the internet and it said you can spread them by touching something a person had touched who has one, but I don't believe it. Rick and Jason have never gotten a cold sore (also known as fever blisters).

Anyways, I thought it was funny when Rick said My lip is going numb, I don't know why.
Actually, this will prove or disprove my theory: If he gets a cold sore or not.Single Dose Cold SoreI also use this for mosquito bites: it numbs the area so the itching goes away and when you don't scratch the bite, it heals faster and hurts less.

No comments:

Post a Comment