Thursday, August 9, 2012

Upstills to Philly

Rick and I arrived home on Sunday (the viewing was Aug 2 and the funeral was Aug 3) late. The next day Rick was off on a trip to Ireland; Paige and family were coming in on Wed evening, or rather Thursday morning at 12:35am and Rick was not getting home until Thurs at 1pm. That left me to pick them up from the airport (which I would have a difficult time doing without a GPS). As I checked their online arrival time, I noted that it had been delayed until 12:55am. I didn't necessarily believe it wouldn't come in until then because I have been on flights that were delayed before and the pilot comes on the PA and says we will make up the time in the air.

But, at any rate, I left at 11:30pm. The whole 55 min drive to the airport I was going back and forth, should I go in and meet them outside security or not? I did not think it safe to be wandering the terminal at 1am by myself. I decided I would wait in the cell phone lot until Paige and Co had collected luggage and called me, and then was thinking I might not be safe, in a car in the middle of an empty lot by myself (really, lots of burglars want me and always have).

I got to the airport and drove to the cell phone lot, which was packed with cars and people, so I could see it was completely safe. I had arrived 25 min early, and I decided to just drive by the pickup terminals (Philly has 6) and scope out where I needed to be. I got to D, then E (their arrival terminal) and saw tons of people walking back and forth. This also felt completely safe, so I parked and walked in.

As I was waiting, I looked out the window at the SEPTA train station and was struck by the energy of large cities, such as Philly and NYC. Altho I don't want to live here forever, certainly not retire here, it has been fun to partake of big, big city life, even on the small level I have.

Their flight arrived; they all looked like vampires with red eyes. The little girls were quite tired, as were Paige and Kincade. We got home at 2am and to bed at 2:30. At 8am I heard a little girl yelling, "Nano!" Way too early to be up!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the ordeal! Glad you all made it safe and the burglars didn't get you...this time. :-)

    ReplyDelete