Thursday, May 11, 2017

What I Won't miss about Texas...

...the wildlife.

Yesterday I was standing on the driveway washing a brush with the outside facet. Soon I felt something hurting on my ankle. I looked down and saw a small brown spec, I immediately looked closer - ant! And the pain told me it must be a fire ant. Quickly smashed it and brushed it off. Started burning, feeling like that little dot on my ankle was on fire. Ahhh, bitten Again. They love me, I'm tasty.

A couple of weeks ago Rick and I were walking on the sidewalk around Grand Oaks Loop. About 10-15 feet ahead of us a snake slithered from a house's lawn, across the sidewalk and to the other side of the road into an empty weeded/grassed area. It wasn't terribly long, perhaps 3-4 feet (hard to tell because it slithered making the "s" shaped all along its body) but fat, circumference was 4-5 or more inches.

When I got home I looked up the distinctive diamond shapes on its body - must have been a diamond backed rattler. Yay.

With the warmer weather all the wild life is coming out from their holes and dens. Another Yay.

I love Texas wildlife. Not.



No comments:

Post a Comment