Thursday, February 12, 2015

Hattie's not a baby anymore

I remember when I was 17, 18, etc., someone would ask me my age and if I was even close to my next birthday I would give the older age. Now, of course, I would gladly give the younger age.

Hattie is like her Nano: she wants to be and do older. Yesterday Hattie somehow let Paige know she wanted something to eat, so Paige was giving her a fruit leather. She usually opens the package, breaks off a small piece and hands that to Hattie. This time Hattie was saying, ugh ugh ugh, indicating she didn't want it broken off. So Paige handed her the whole piece. Then she was saying ugh ugh ugh again, so Paige handed her the broken off part. Hattie walked away happily with both pieces.

Two things: Hattie sees how the big girls are treated and wants to be a big girl. The other is it must be frustrating to know what you want but not have the words to say it. As I mentioned in an earlier post she can say a few things, but then is limited by her spoken vocabulary even tho she understands most everything. Understanding comes before verbal skills.

When Paige was around this age I was in college for Education of the Hearing Impaired (nice way of saying Deaf Ed), taking a SEE class (Signing Exact English, which is different than ESL). I was signing all the time to the kids and at one point Paige could sign more words than she could speak.

These little ggrrls are growing up too fast for Nano and Papaw.

2 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful grandma. I'd have a child just for him/her to have a grandma like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and it will be so much fun to have your grandchild to interact with.

    ReplyDelete