Thursday, January 10, 2013

Saga of the crown tooth

Today is 3 weeks and a day since I had the crown put on. And finally, I'm starting to feel human again. I had to come home early from Austin because my jaw was hurting so much. I went to the dentist yesterday, he said he knew what was wrong, told me what to do, and I started doing it. I'm not sure if it was because he was so confident, so a placebo effect happened, but my jaw did start to feel better immediately. So, continue taking Aleve (which is ibuprofen, as it happens, and I had been taking a generic ibuprofen but it didn't help the pain any so I had switched to Aleve and thought I would get in trouble for the change), but now make it 3x a day, take a muscle relaxant 3x a day, do jaw exercises 4x, and put on a hot, moist washcloth for an hour, taking it off and on every 10 min, 2x a day. In Austin, I quit using my jaw, thinking it would be best to let it rest and heal. And that was the wrong thing to do. I should have continued using it. What happened was this (according to my dentist): Because the knuckleheaded dentist in the office that put on the crown (not my dentist, he wasn't in that day, which is a whole 'nother story), couldn't hit the spot to numb my mouth, he had to shot me 3x with the needle. That caused the muscle to tear down, which resulted in my mouth and jaw going all cockeyed. I should have continued using the jaw to build the muscle back up. But I didn't know that, because all the 4x I called their office, no one told me that. The receptionist even told me to use a cold pack, and the dentist said no, use hot, moist heat. But, all's well that ends well (I think!$#%^)and I can tell that I'm on the way to healing. This will remind me to be waaaaay more sympathetic to people that are in pain, or hurting in some way. When people say, when you have your health, you have everything, it is the absolute truth. It is so miserable and consuming when you are sick, and so freeing to feel healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment