Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Can't swallow

I had my second visit today with the new orthodontist. Dr. Larry Schrader. He, Peppard and Gallagher all work closely together. Because I have such a small mouth, all dentists have a hard time working in there. I needed have all new molds of my teeth made so Dr. Schrader could hook them up to his own "fake jaw/mouth." I can't remember what they call it, but it shows them exactly how my teeth and jaw interact.

Anyways, I told him that Dr. Peppard had molds but Schrader said he needed his own set. He had me opening and closing my mouth, taking measurements this way and that, moving my mouth from side to side, jutting my lower jaw forward then backward, and recording it all. Finally, he said it was time to take the molds. He got the smallest set he had and put the top and then the bottom into my mouth, separately, then took them out, just wanting to see how they would fit. I told him I had a strong gag reflex. He said he had some spray that would numb my throat and mouth just for 5 min or so to get the molds in and set. Ok. He sprayed and as the numbing effect began occurring I began not being able to swallow and breathing was difficult. Dr. Schrader and his 2 helpers stood and watched as I struggled. I hopped out of the chair because lying back made it so much worse. They gave me some water to drink, which I sipped.

Finally the numbing agent did start to wear off and it was easier to swallow and breathe. I told them if any of my kids were there I would be accused of being a drama queen. But they were all kind and concerned (as visions of the last several years' profits evaporated before their eyes if I happened to go kerplunk).

Returned to the chair, leaned back and they prepared the molds with goo and inserted first the bottom, waited 5 min for it to set, then the top. Done with few probs, no gagging, etc. Oh, first they took some wax bites of my front, side, and I think bottom teeth.

All this is preparing me for my new job as Torturer for the Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment