Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flag Day

One of the Tea Party groups that I'm a member of, the one in Harleysville, had a Flag Day ceremony which started at 6:45 pm. My sister Cheryl and I wrote up our own bucket lists for this summer, and on my bucket list I decided that I wanted to attend a Tea Party event every month. I asked Rick if he wanted to go,  he did, so after he got home and did a few things, we jumped in the jeep (little alliteration there) and off we went.

It was outside, which I liked. Something about outdoor events... I just enjoy the great outdoors (waxing poetic). We arrived just as a singer was beginning "The Star-Spangled Banner." I love that song, and love hearing it - unfortunately no one can sing it and this woman was no better and a little worse. She had waaaaay too much vibrato, but could hit all the high notes (and hit them she did!).

We then said the Pledge of Allegiance, two women read patriotic poems, and the man who runs this Tea Party had a few pertinent things to say, asked some historical and flag related questions of the audience and threw prizes to whoever answered them correctly.

The main speaker, a local boy who was a state, not federal, senator gave an interesting talk on George Washington and the Revolutionary War and then it was over, the whole thing taking one hour, which was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment