Friday, May 1, 2015

Walking and thinking of old songs, motions, dances

This morning while out walking I was talking to Miz Chero on the phone, and when I got home it reminded me of all the songs, dances, etc we used to do while I was growing up. Then a little later I was talking to Squirt and it reminded me of it all once again.

We used to do a line dance type of thing, I think it was called The Hustle, so I looked that up online. It must have been made famous by the John Travolta film "Saturday Night Fever," but we did this while I still in high school, so long before the movie. (Not too long ago, I called a movie theatre a show house, and Jason told me to change centuries or something like that.) Anyway, some of the steps done in The Hustle are the same, but we did more also. I would love to know all the steps and motions we did with whatever that line dance(?) was.

I have taught a few of the songs we used to do to my kids, and we sang them on road trips when they were growing up. Now I'm teaching a few of them to my ggrrls. I'm going to list them below just so I won't forget them.

Songs:
This old man, knick knack paddy wack, give a dog a bone
A Sailor went to sea sea sea
Fee, fie, foe, fum, vista
One black two black
Chicken/Rufus Rafus
Peas porridge hot
Do not laugh when a hearse goes by (this is gruesome)
Salt, pepper and vinegar
The ants go marching

Dance steps:
The Hustle?

I'm going to write the words to Fee, fie, foe, fum. This song is echoed or repeated after every word or refrain.
Fee
Fie
Foe
Fum
Vista
Kumala, kumala, kumala vista
Oh, no, no not devista
Eenie meenie ess-aminie, oowa oowa dameenie
Ess-ameenie siidameenie oowa oowa
Eaten beaten oaten doaten be-bot-en dee-en-dot-en
Ssshhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment